Why use Solar Battery Storage?
With a solar battery storage system, either hybrid or off-grid, you can save the energy you generate to use later when the sun isn’t shining. There are several other advantages of solar battery systems:
- With NZ feed-in grid tariffs dropping significantly and grid prices continuing to rise, there’s an incentive to use more of the power you generate. Why feed energy to and from the grid at an unfavourable rate when you can store it to use later?
- The price and efficiency of solar battery systems is better than ever. Traditional deep cycle lead-acid batteries are being replaced with more efficient and longer lasting lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries.
- You can use battery storage to avoid power black-outs. Unlike a grid-tied solar system which automatically switches off, a battery storage system allows you to keep generating and consuming energy when the grid goes down.
Why use a Lithium-ion Battery?
CPS Solar recommends Li-ion batteries. They have a number of advantages over lead-acid batteries. They are:
- Smaller and lighter, meaning they require less space in your home
- Able to be recharged faster
- Able to be deeply discharged, up to 90% of total capacity, without compromising the life of the battery
- Less likely to degrade during charging and discharging, so have a longer life
- Pre-wired, reducing installation costs
- Able to be safely stored inside without the need for venting systems as they do not expel volatile gases.
LG Chem Solar Batteries
With 22 years of experience in successfully delivering products and solutions to customers in the global energy sector, LG Chem is recognized as the industry leader in Lithium-ion battery manufacturing. We’ve carried out our own research and groundwork and are pleased to recommend LG Chem Li-ion batteries for your hybrid solar installation.
LG Chem RESU 3.3 | 6.5 | 10 Series
The new compact LG Chem RESU 3.3, 6.5 and 10 series offers additional flexibility, expand-ability, and presents the world’s best energy density. These are its key features:
- It’s compact, 4cm flatter and 8kg lighter than the RESU 6.4.
- LG Chem uses a lamination and stacking method in manufacturing that enables lower costs and end-user price, compared to the previous model.
- There’s more flexibility in sizing. The battery units of various sizes are able to be combined with high flexibility starting from the very basic 3.3kWh unit.
- It offers flexible installation. It can be installed inside or outside, wall mounted or standing
- It offers diverse inverter matching with more upgrade options. The new High Voltage unit and Low Voltage unit will make them very easy to be integrated to existing solar system.
- It offers simplified inverter connections, reducing installation time and costs
- It has an impressive lifespan of 6,000 cycles, up to 16 years, with a 10 year warranty.
- It has a capacity to generate from 3.3 to 9.8 kilowatt hours (kWh) in the low-voltage battery systems (48 volt).
Download the datasheet:
Choosing the Correct Battery Size
It’s very important to configure your system correctly, including choosing a compatible solar inverter. The team at CPS Solar are experts in assessing your requirements and budget constraints, and we undertake a free comprehensive on-site consultation before we recommend the optimal solar solution.
As a general guide, these are approximations for solar system and battery storage sizing:
- Low Energy Household
1-3 people using 10-15kWh/day
Recommended solar system: 3kW plus 4-6kWh battery storage
- Average Energy Household
3-5 people using 15-25kWh/day
Recommended solar system: 5kW plus 8-12kWh battery storage
- High Energy Household
4+ people using 25+kWh/day
Recommended solar system: 5-8kW plus 14-20kWh battery storage
We are happy to provide you with an free assessment and quote.